Saturday, December 18, 2010

Why I'm Not Doing Christmas Cards This Year

For the past few years, I've enjoyed exchanging Christmas cards and gifts with the amazing women I've met through the NKOTB reunion. I've enjoyed sharing special messages of appreciation, and even sent everyone a little gift last year.

I'm not doing that this year.

It's not because I don't love you guys. Seriously, you all mean more to me than I think most of you know. My life would suck without you.

Instead, I'm taking the money I have spent on cards and donating it to Celebrate Joe Mac, a group of fans donating money to United Way of Tampa Bay and First Book in celebration of Joe's 38th birthday.

People's purses are tighter than ever this year. But just $2 can buy a pre-school student a new book to read at home with his or her family. The impact of reading with your parents at an early age is invaluable to a child's future. As a writer, and an avid reader, I personally know the value of storytime with Mom and Dad as a young person. I can't imagine that almost 50% of preschoolers in America today are going to bed without a bedtime story.

So, if we normally exchange cards or gifts and we haven't yet this year, I invite you to consider donating to this group instead. You can follow @JoeMac_2011 on twitter or check their blog for more information. Even if you can't spare much-just $10.00 will allow 5 families to start 2011 with a new book and a lifetime gift of literacy.

Let's Get This!

xoxo

Riddlah

No comments:

Post a Comment